Recipes

The Best Ever Tiramisu with Speculoos Biscuits

13/05/2012

Tiramisu is the iconic Italian dessert that everybody know and love. If you grew up in Italy, like I did, it is often the case that the best tiramisu you have ever tasted is the one your mum or grandma made. In my case, my favourite tiramisu is the one I make, using this recipe. And now, you can make it too!

Speculoos Tiramisu Recipe

I am sharing this recipe today as part of Lavazza Coffee Set Match bloggers challenge. This dessert – a Tiramisù with a twist of Speculoos (Biscoff) caramelised biscuits – is one of my specialties!

Speculoos Tiramisu Recipe

For an authentic tiramisù, you have to use savoiardi or sponge biscuits, which are perfect to soak up the coffee without crumbling.

I am a big fan of Speculoos in all its forms and I think they work perfectly in a tiramisù. These spiced biscuits add a crunchy texture and cinnamon flavour to this classic Italian dessert.

Speculoos Tiramisu Recipe

So here’s the recipe for you. I hope you’ll enjoy it!

Ingredients

• 5 free range eggs (as fresh as possible)
  • 400g Speculoos biscuits or savoiardi
  • 75g (5 tbsp) granulated sugar
  • 500g of mascarpone cheese
  • 600ml coffee (traditionally, in Italy the coffee is brewed in a moka pot)
  • a splash of rum (or an equal amount of marsala, coffee liqueur, brandy, or cognac)
  • 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder, for dusting

Speculoos Tiramisu Recipe

Preparation

Break the eggs and separate the yellows from the whites. Mix the yolks with the sugar using an electric whisk until you have a creamy mixture. Add the mascarpone and blend together.

Speculoos Tiramisu Recipe

In a separate bowl, mix the egg whites with a pinch of salt, until they become foamy and airy. Don’t overwork it or else the mixture will become too liquid. Fold (do not stir) the whites in the cream using a spatula.

Make the coffee using your preferred method. I used Lavazza Tierra coffee and a small Bialetti mocha pot. Prepare 3 cups of coffee, make more as you go along if you want to add more layers. Pour the coffee in a bowl and leave to cool down.

Speculoos Tiramisu Recipe

Use a glass cake dish or small pots (I used both!), it needs to have tall sides to allow for multiple layers. One at the time, dip the biscuits in the coffee (just once on each side), gently squeeze the liquid out, being careful not to crumble the biscuit. Cover the cake dish with the biscuits, laid side by side. Splash drops of Martini Bianco over the biscuits, then spread the cream over.

Speculoos Tiramisu Recipe

Create a new layer of biscuits dipped in coffee, splash with Martini, spread cream on top. Repeat one more time (I usually make three layers of biscuits + cream).

Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight. Before serving, sift chocolate powder over the cake.

Speculoos Tiramisu Recipe

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply girlinafoodfrenzy 14/05/2012 at 02:19

Loved these when I saw them on IG and they look even better on the blog! Those tiny pots are a real find :)

• Reply redpantsandamustache 14/05/2012 at 04:51

Looks great! And I am glad to see that ingredients include free range eggs :)

• Reply Maria Cristina 14/05/2012 at 10:00

Slurp!!! It really looks fantastic in those small pots and must taste really great! :-)

• Reply Helen | Living Longingly 14/05/2012 at 10:14

Yummmm! I’m definitely going to try this!

• Reply [email protected] and Donuts 14/05/2012 at 11:53

They truly look awesome! Will have to try making some with speculoo biscuits soon!

• Reply mondomulia 14/05/2012 at 12:08

It’s so easy to make! In 1 hour I made 4 mini-pots with two layers of Speculoos and also a big tiramisu for 8 people with 2 layers of Savoiardi + 1 of Speculoos! :)

• Reply thelittleloaf 14/05/2012 at 12:13

These look sooo good. I love the addition of speculoos biscuits (and can’t wait to try my spread when you bring it back, thank you so much!)

• Reply mondomulia 16/05/2012 at 10:27

You will fall in love with it! Spreading the love… ;)

• Reply frugalfeeding 14/05/2012 at 16:32

Pinned – that’s the best iteration of my favourite dessert that I’ve ever seen…

• Reply mondomulia 16/05/2012 at 10:27

That’s a great compliment, thank you! I didn’t think Speculoos would work so well in Tiramisù as they are not spongy at all, but actually they can hold the coffee well and give the cake a little hint of spices that works great!

• Reply angeltreats 15/05/2012 at 06:41

Anything that uses speculoos biscuits is a winner with me, but when you pair it with coffee, it’s even more awesome! Really must try these.

I’m taking part in the challenge too, really looking forward to it as it sounds like great fun.

• Reply mondomulia 16/05/2012 at 10:25

I’m loving this challenge already, as it’s giving me the opportunity to try new recipes and experiment in the kitchen! Looking forward to your recipes! :)

• Reply eat, little bird 16/05/2012 at 09:57

Oh I love tiramisu and I love speculoos! So this recipe sounds perfect! I love the pots which you used.

• Reply mondomulia 16/05/2012 at 10:24

Thank you for the comment! The pots are recycled from Chocolate Puddings I bought at the supermarket! ;)

• Reply The Wimbledon Cake | mondomulia 12/06/2012 at 23:35

[…] and a particular type of Italian biscuits, called Pavesini. The preparation is similar to that of Tiramisù: dip biscuits in coffee and create layers with […]

• Reply Lavazza Coffee Pops | mondomulia 22/06/2012 at 19:11

[…] took a step back and looked at what I had already achieved: surpassing 1000 views in a day with my Speculoos Tiramisù, inventing a successful recipe with the Toffee Coffee Cupcakes, baking choux pastry in my […]

• Reply Eating in Brussels | mondomulia 31/07/2012 at 15:39

[…] Finally, I cannot finish write a foodie guide of Brussels without mentioning my favourite Belgian obsession: the Speculoos (or Biscoff, as they are called in US)! Speculoos are caramelized biscuits spiced with pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg. They are often served with coffee and they make a great addition to most sweet recipes. I have already written about my Tiramisù with Speculoos in this post. […]