Recipes

Granola with almonds, pecans and cinnamon

15/03/2012

For a healthy, nutritious and tasty breakfast or mid-afternoon snack, try this spiced granola with almonds, pecans and cinnamon. The recipe is incredibly easy to make. Once you taste this granola, you will never want to go back to store-bought cereals!

Granola with almonds, pecans and cinnamon

Yes, I made it, I completed the Food for Runners challenge! The goal was to create and share with you one healthy recipe a week for 10 weeks. I challenged myself to support Sandy’s nutrition and boost his energies in the lead up to his Rome Marathon in March.

The marathon day is upon us now. This evening, we will fly to my hometown of Rome where the marathon will take place this weekend. I will also be running a 5k alongside Sandy, nothing in comparison to 42 kilometres my fiancé will have to run! Of course, while Sandy is as cheerful and positive as usual, I’m in full panic mode!

I’ve done my research on training and nutrition and I’ve asked tips to fellow marathon runners. I’ve been researching Marathon Week Taper tips and then found myself sending Sandy messages like “don’t eat carbs today” one day, “eat carbs today” the next day or “remember to eat fresh fruit” and “don’t eat too much cake”. I have also convinced Sandy to take ice baths after long runs and booked him a decontracting massage for the morning after the marathon. Honestly, I’m freaking out, please let this nonsense be over soon!

In the hope of calming myself down, I focused on preparing the MOST AMAZING GRANOLA I have ever tasted! Supermarket granola brands are going to taste bland from now on. This is one very tasty and spiced mix!

Granola with almonds, pecans and cinnamon

So far, I have tasted this granola with different combinations: yogurt and fresh fruit, flaxseed and milk, or simply sprinkled on fresh strawberries! I even found Sandy eating it straight out of the jar! We are obsessed!

Spiced Almond Granola

• 1/4 cup honey or golden syrup
  • 1/4 cup dark muscovado or brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup green pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.

In a bowl mix oats, almonds, pecans, coconut, cinnamon, ginger, pepper and salt. Do not add the pumpkin seeds and the cranberries to the mix yet!

In a separate bowl stir together the oil, sugar, golden syrup and vanilla extract. Pour the liquid over the oat/nut mix and stir until well coated.

Spread out onto the baking sheet. Bake for 20-30′ or until golden, stirring a few times. Remove from the oven and mix in the pumpkin seeds and cranberries.

Let it cool completely and store it in glass jars or airtight containers.

Sandy is running the Rome Marathon on Sunday 18th March to raise money for Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research and for Multiple Sclerosis Society. Show your support by fundraising his challenge here.

You Might Also Like

13 Comments

• Reply frugalfeeding 15/03/2012 at 10:20

GOOD LUCK! Also, this granola sounds AMAZING. I’ve seen so many recipes for granola, but this is the first spiced granola! Sound deeeeeeelish.

• Reply Un'americana a Roma 15/03/2012 at 10:33

Bella you are my new idol. You are so cute and I love love love love your photography. This morning I was making some o.j. for my little twin girls (they’re 2!) and when I was cutting the oranges I had a gorgeous flashback of one of your photos of sicilian blood oranges.

Now I know the big reason why you are coming to Rome on this particular weekend. Is this Sandy’s first marathon? It sounds so exciting. He is so lucky to have you as his cheerleader and coach.

And, above all, the granola sounds totally amazing. I would *almost* train for a marathon to get you to make it for me.

• Reply mondomulia 15/03/2012 at 10:39

Thank you for the enthusiastic comment, Shelley! :) You totally should try this recipe, I couldn’t believe how good it tasted with yogurt and fresh fruit!

It’s Sandy’s first marathon, so I just hope he will survive! ;) Come cheer him up if you are free on Sunday morning!

• Reply Un'americana a Roma 15/03/2012 at 14:52

Oh my gosh I will so take you up on that invite my dear, are you kidding? I am in fact free on Sunday morning and I think you are in for some FABULOUS marathon weather. Today is blissfully beautiful.

• Reply mondomulia 15/03/2012 at 15:37

Sunday might be cloudy and slightly colder, which is great for the marathon runners anyway! :) Hope to see you there – email me at mondomulia [at] me [dot] com if you can make it!

• Reply soididitmyself 15/03/2012 at 11:50

This looks great!

• Reply Maria Cristina 15/03/2012 at 12:14

Ma uno può mangiarlo lo stesso anche se non corre nessuna maratona??? ;-) Le foto sono veramente appetitose…!

• Reply Danny 15/03/2012 at 14:13

Wow — I just had to say that I love your photos!

• Reply mondomulia 15/03/2012 at 15:36

Hi Danny! Thanks a lot for your comment! :)

• Reply thelittleloaf 15/03/2012 at 20:56

I LOVE homemade granola and yours looks great. Wishing Sandy all the best of luck! :-)

• Reply artistrybyadele 16/03/2012 at 00:04

This looks absolutely delicious! Love the photos too :)

• Reply Sunday Morning Observations « 18/03/2012 at 12:56

[…] special our Giulia is, she deserves double beauty!) I do, however, wish you had brought me some of your granola but I fully intend to scavenger hunt for the ingredients and make it myself. Can’t […]

• Reply Chocolate Walks (@chocolatewalks) 06/04/2012 at 10:21

It looks delicious. I need to modify it for chocolate lovers with a chocolate twist.