Travel

A Day at the Wimbledon Championship 2012

06/07/2012

Last week I received the fantastic news that the judges at Lavazza UK loved my Coffee Cake Pops recipe and voted me the winner of the Lavazza Coffee Set Match Bloggers’ Competition! As a prize, I will fly to Lavazza’s hometown Turin, Italy for a weekend! There, I will get the chance to visit the company’s headquarter, meet the local team and learn more about the brand and products. I’m very excited to visit Turin, which I’ve heard is not only beautiful, but also a fantastic foodie destination. As part of my prize, I also won two tickets to attend Lavazza’s press day at The Championships, Wimbledon. It was an incredible day full of tennis, food and great coffee!

As I arrived at the Lavazza marquee in the Wimbledon press centre, I headed straight to the bar where three beautiful Wimbledon Favola Plus Limited Edition machines were displayed. I started the day with a macchiato, the first of many coffees to follow during the day!

Lavazza Coffee | A day of tennis, food, coffee and English traditions at The Championships, Wimbledon in London

There I met the judges of the competition, Head Trainer Dave Cormack and Managing Director of Lavazza UK Luca Piccini, and also the lovely representatives of Lavazza who were visiting from Turin.

As members of the press filled the marquee, a press conference started with an introduction by Giuseppe Lavazza, vice president of the company. Established in 1895, Lavazza has been owned by the Lavazza family for four generations and is now one of the world’s top coffee roasters and leader in the Italian coffee retail market.

They were the first to introduce espresso coffee to Wimbledon last year, with a partnership that is set to continue through 2013. There are about 80 coffee outlets inside Wimbledon, 200 coffee machines and a whopping 600 staff trained by Lavazza on how to make hot and cold coffee drinks. I stopped by the Baseline Café to take some photos of the baristas and the beautiful espresso machine!

The presentation by Giuseppe Lavazza was followed by a Q&A with former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanišević and Italian tennis legend Adriano Panatta and afterwards I also had the chance to meet them and have our photos taken by the official photographer!

A day of tennis, food, coffee and English traditions at The Championships, Wimbledon in LondonA day of tennis, food, coffee and English traditions at The Championships, Wimbledon in London

At the end of the press conference, we sat down for lunch at the Lavazza marquee, with a fantastic buffet prepared by the Wimbledon catering. Dessert was a selection of cakes and of course a Wimbledon classic: strawberries and cream!

A few hours later there was also an afternoon tea served at the Press Centre, complete with sandwiches, cakes and scones with jam & clotted cream! Just look at these macarons, in the official Wimbledon colours of dark green and purple, aren’t they cute?

The day wasn’t just about food and coffee, of course! As part of my prize, I received an entry ticket to the Centre Court, where I watched Roger Federer win against Fabio Fognini (while Prince Charles and Camilla were watching from the royal booth) and Tamira Paszek against Caroline Wozniacki.

It was a fantastic experience, being at the oldest tennis tournament in the world, sitting in its famous centre court, cheering on the world’s best players. It was such an honour to be there!

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

• Reply Un'americana a Roma 06/07/2012 at 16:32

You are my food and photography idol. Love it love all of it! You creative goddess you!

• Reply mondomulia 06/07/2012 at 16:35

You are too nice to me! :) Thank you! xx

• Reply [email protected] 06/07/2012 at 17:07

Sounds amazing, what an experience and so lucky to be off to Italy too. Cookies look delicious as does the cofee!

• Reply Maria Cristina 06/07/2012 at 17:24

Hai veramente chiuso in bellezza! Chapeau!!! :-)

• Reply thelittleloaf 06/07/2012 at 17:26

Congratulations again Giulia, sounds like an absolutely wonderful day!

• Reply mondomulia 08/07/2012 at 19:03

Thank you again for the recipe and tips of the Toffee Cupcakes!

• Reply David Cormack 06/07/2012 at 22:22

Wow! this is a fantastic piece, we were very happy to have you there and and you were a worthy winner as well. All of your recipes are delicious :) David

• Reply mondomulia 08/07/2012 at 19:01

Thank you so much, Dave! It was a great day! :)

• Reply girlinafoodfrenzy 06/07/2012 at 23:07

Congratulations yet again. It’s really wonderful to see how all your hard work and efforts payed off in the end. Looking forward to seeing more photos from Turin.

• Reply mondomulia 08/07/2012 at 19:02

Thank you! I haven’t planned the visit to Turin yet, but I can’t wait to share the photos on the blog!

• Reply biscuitsandbobbins 07/07/2012 at 02:57

“1 espresso”, is this the powder from one (lavazza) pod. or one portion scoop or one solo espresso.. I assume it is espresso powder. If it is one portion scoop it would be good to know how much that is. Thanks so much, sounds like a lovely cookie! …And congratulations on your win!

• Reply mondomulia 07/07/2012 at 08:07

I don’t use coffee powder. To make one espresso I used 1 capsule in the Lavazza AEG coffee machine. Otherwise you can use ground coffee in a small moka pot (ie. Bialetti).

• Reply marinachetner 08/07/2012 at 20:47

Congrats on such a great win, and a great post. Game, set, and match!

• Reply BlogWorld ~ musings from Brooklyn | Marina Chetner 08/07/2012 at 23:52

[…] Wimbledon and Coffee Cocoa Cookies | mondomulia. Food shots on this blog are always excellent – so well composed, so light and bright. PS This blogger won a competition by Lavazza and is going to Turin. Congrats! […]

• Reply jooy 09/07/2012 at 08:21

Congrats! That’s such a fab opportunity.

• Reply hannahmeccano 09/07/2012 at 16:42

Congratulations on the win! xx

• Reply Urvashi Roe 13/07/2012 at 19:36

congratulations! I love your imagery and the little Wimbledon espresso Lavazza cups are gorgeous. I want some! BUT it has to be said that my favourite is the macaron!

• Reply A Weekend in Turin - Mondomulia 29/07/2015 at 14:57

[…] bloggers competition and, thanks to my coffee-based recipes, I won the first prize: tickets to Wimbledon and a trip to Turin! I had never been to Turin, so I was very excited about finally visiting this […]