Travel

14/02/2013

As a Valentine's Day treat, I have decided to share with you some photos of my mehendi, taken by photographer Anil Fernandes during our wedding in Mumbai last November.

My Mehendi Ceremony

The mehendi is one of the ceremonies that the bride and the groom take part to during the wedding celebrations.

Mehendi means henna and, during this ceremony, a henna artist applies mehendi to the bride's hands and feet, as well as to the hands of all female relatives and friends. This is purely done for decoration and to make the bride look even more beautiful on her wedding day!

My Mehendi Ceremony

The bridal designs are so intricate, that they require several hours to be drawn and then to dry. My mehendi was actually done the day before the ceremony and it took a whopping eight hours! If that doesn't seem like a lot, imagine spending eight hours sitting on a chair, with somebody painting your hands and feet, meaning you cannot move, eat, drink, go to the loo or basically do anything at all except for talking. Which wasn't an option in my case, since I was mostly left alone in the room with only Hindi-speaking people.

I was very relieved when it was finally over! ;) The result was absolutely beautiful!

My Mehendi Ceremony

So, for me, the morning of the mehendi was mostly spent taking photos, chatting to my friends and family, and taking part to a mini-photoshoot with my husband!

My Mehendi Ceremony

The mehendi was folllowed in the evening by the sangeet, a party with tranditional dancing and music, and the next day by the marriage ceremony.

Stay tuned, more photos to come soon!

Credits: all photographs in this post were taken by Anil Fernandes.

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

• Reply fede 14/02/2013 at 15:18

Beautiful photos and beautiful henna work. So please to have met Sandy finally!

• Reply Mondomulia 14/02/2013 at 15:19

Grazie Fede! Let’s meet up again soon for pizza! :)

• Reply Kelly 14/02/2013 at 15:29

Gorgeous! I love the intricate design but I don’t think I can last 8 hours for it :)

• Reply shuhan 14/02/2013 at 18:27

wow mulia the ceremony looks so beautiful and all those intricate designs are just stunning! congrats once again x

• Reply Mondomulia 14/02/2013 at 18:29

Thank you so much!

• Reply Mondomulia 14/02/2013 at 18:29

It’s certainly not something I am ready to experience again in life! ;)

• Reply Milli @Milliskitchen 14/02/2013 at 23:01

The fanned shape on your ankles are sooo pretty. I love that when the big day is over and the dress is put away, feeling like it was all a dream, you have your henna to remind you that it was all beauitful and real!

• Reply One week in Kerala: where to go - Mondomulia 03/12/2015 at 14:25

[…] hadn’t been back to India since my wedding in 2012, so this year my husband decided it was time to go back and spend Diwali with his family in […]

• Reply True shades photography 03/02/2017 at 12:20

The mehendi photos are beautifully captured with good angles and even the colour tone is nice.Good job.