Travel

Brixton Village

18/01/2012

I am a lucky girl. You know why? I live one tube stop away from one of the most hyped food destination of London: the Brixton Village! :)

Formerly known as Granville Arcade, the 1930’s market was revamped two years ago thanks to an initiative of the Lambeth Council and Space Makers. The vacant market units were offered rent free for 3 months to community projects and business start-ups in the hope of attracting new traders. It worked! Slowly, the new Brixton Village came to life and it is now home to beautiful restaurants, cafés and fashion shops.

I first visited Brixton Village and the nearby Market Row arcades last summer to taste the famous Franco Manca pizza. Oddly, I didn’t take any pictures at the time, so you will have to trust my words when I say it was THE best pizza I have ever had in London! (Pizza eaten in Italy falls into a completely different category, sorry!)

Last November I went back to the market for a longer visit, this time carrying my DSLR and looking for all the names I had been reading about on the papers for months: Elephant, Kao Sarn, Honest Burgers, French & Grace, Federation Coffee… Getting more and more excited every time I spotted another cute little shop! Brixton Village restaurants surprised me with their incredible attention to detail and original style and décor.

If you have been to Brixton Village already, you know that long waiting times are the norm, especially at the weekend. The downsides of Brixton Village are that the units are small and cold, indoor space is limited, toilets are few and located in the arcade. Most restaurants have got tables outside which come with a blanket for each chair! I find this to be another cute detail that adds to the overall nice décor.

We managed to find a table without queueing at Casa Morita. The selection of tacos was excellent but more appropriate as a starter than a main course, so if you are hungry, go for the specials of the day.

After the Mexican lunch we moved on to the nearby The Bread Room for coffee and cake. We sat on stools by the window, finally feeeling warm enough to take our coats off, and enjoyed a quiet moment sharing a big slice of carrot cake. We were impressed by the big portion and small price!

Last weekend I went back to Brixton Village to try the “Best godammned burger in town” (according to Hot Dinners) at Honest Burgers!

Honest Burgers doesn’t accept bookings, but they take your name and number when you arrive, so you are free to roam around the market until your table is available (rather than stand in a queue for half an hour as we did at Franco Manca). On Sunday at 2pm the wait for a 4 people was 45 minutes. It is fully licensed (no BYO bottle), but they don’t accept cards, so make sure to bring cash.

I must agree with the general judgement that this is one of the best burgers in London. I am no expert in the matter, but I liked everything about my cheese-burger and fries and cannot think about a single complain to make!

On the way back to the station, I couldn’t resist stopping by Ms Cupcakes to buy a little treat to take home. I asked for their best-selling cupcake, the Rocher, but unfortunately (not surprisingly) it was sold out! So I bought the second best, triple chocolate cupcake and brought it home for a little evening snack.

With so many restaurants still to try, I cannot wait to go back to Brixton Village for another food crawl! Hopefully this post will also convince my friends to travel south of the river and join me!

So, do you LOVE BRIXTON or not? :)

You Might Also Like

17 Comments

• Reply poojavir 18/01/2012 at 11:24

How fabulous is this! I am now even more excited about our adventure through Brixton Market next month. Safe in the hands of an expert :-)

• Reply mondomulia 18/01/2012 at 15:12

It’s a great location for a photography meet-up! As I said, all the restaurants and shops have great attention to detail and they are super pretty!

• Reply Regula @ foodwise 18/01/2012 at 11:43

This looks wonderful, I need to go there!!! Great pictures!

• Reply mondomulia 18/01/2012 at 15:10

I hope you will have time to visit it soon! :)

• Reply thelittleloaf 18/01/2012 at 13:09

Lovely pics! I wish I lived a bit closer to Brixton Market – there’s always so much going on and the food on offer is incredible.

• Reply mondomulia 18/01/2012 at 15:13

Even if you live far, it’s worth the travel! ;) My friends came from Leytonstone to try the burgers!

• Reply Laura 18/01/2012 at 13:29

Ciao Giulia,
    ho letto con interesse e tanta curiosità!!! Durante il mio breve viaggio a Londra sono andata Brixton, e ricordo di aver visto “The Bread Room”. Purtroppo la mia visita è stata piuttosto rapida, in 4 giorni avrei voluto vedere tutta Londra!!. Ma quando tornerò potrò di certo far tesoro di tutto ciò che leggerò qui, su Mondomulia!!!!
    Ciaoooooo!!!!

• Reply mondomulia 18/01/2012 at 15:14

Grazie mille Laura, spero che tornerai presto a Londra cosi potremo andare insieme a provare la torta alle carote di Bread Room! :)

• Reply Laura 19/01/2012 at 14:14

Un motivo in più per tornare ;-)

• Reply Noshable 18/01/2012 at 16:07

I really love the hazy hues of your photos! Great post

• Reply mondomulia 18/01/2012 at 16:35

Oh, thanks! I love the words “hazy hues”, they really describe my style! :)

• Reply Maria Cristina 18/01/2012 at 17:55

Your pictures are so inviting…..; I can’t wait to visit Brixton Village next time I come to London!! You will take me there, won’t you?

• Reply Char 20/01/2012 at 07:39

Amazing. I’m going to explore this place very soon. (…about time since I live within walking distance haha)

• Reply Vickie 24/01/2012 at 06:47

looks wonderful (gorgeous photos), perhaps I’ll get there one day :)

• Reply Brixton Village – Charlotte Hu Photography 29/01/2012 at 22:58

[…] and lemonade. There’s reviews proclaiming it is the “best pizza in Britain”. And Giulia (an Italian!) raved about it on her blog, so I knew it had to be good. Okay I’m no pizza […]

• Reply A London Wedding | mondomulia 04/09/2012 at 13:49

[…] the ceremony, we went to Brixton Village for an ‘aperitivo’ at Yum D, where we shared little Thai plates and delicious prawn […]

• Reply Eat your way through Brixton with Fox & Squirrel - Mondomulia 02/11/2016 at 09:04

[…] the most of the warm sunny day, we strolled towards Brixton Village, the market arcades that have become Brixton's main attraction in the recent years. I blogged […]